Friday, January 18, 2013

Purse from a Skirt!

January 18, 2013 - Day 18
Hey Guys!
Today I am making a purse out of a skirt! This is a lot easier then it will be to explain, and would be much easier with any other fabric then the leather I chose to use! (What was I thinking?) 



Ok, So first get your fabric ready I cut two panels out of a skirt I picked up at a thrift store.


Print out this pattern and cut it, lay it on the fold of your fabric and cut out two pieces for each pattern. (Pattern is from this blog, it is not mine.)


Mark the pleat points and fold and press fabric to hold pleat. If you cannot press (iron) the fabric like me, you may have to get creative.


Sew across the pleat leaving a 1/4 allowance.

From here I got so wrapped up in what I was doing that I forgot to take pictures. Opps, but for step by step pictures you can go here, which are the directions I followed.

Next you add the zipper. Layer your fabric in this order to get the zipper on.
Outer fabric face up- bottom
zipper face down- middle
lining cloth face down- top

Sew the three layers, and repeat for the other side.

put the two outside layers (to make the shell of the purse) so the outside of the fabrics are touching and sew around the outside of the purse from zipper to zipper. Repeat this process with the lining, your purse will resemble the pillow I made here, and like the pillow leave about 1-2" of non sewn edge so you can flip the purse right-side out. Once you do finish closing up the edge. When you are done push the lining into the bag and this is what you will end up with! Pretty awesome!!



It is not a huge bag, but it is a great little clutch or make-up bag? Heck I could see making your kids one out of their choice of fabric and it would make a great pencil bag! 
Over all this was not too hard, though next time I will use a lighter fabric! This has so much potential!

Let me know what you think!
~Kelsy

Don't for get to Subscribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment