Sunday, January 6, 2013

Jeans into a skirt!

January 6, 2013 - Day 6
Hey guys,
 Today I attempted this:
Well, I had a very hard time with this one, mostly because I just got rid of all my dilapidated and non-fitting pants so all I have now is nice jeans and shorts that fit. So instead of cutting a pair of jeans or shorts to make a seam (which would have made this a 15 minute project) I did the following:

First I found a cute ruffle skirt at a local thrift store, and found a pair of shorts that would look cute with the fabric.

I turned the skirt inside out, took out the elastic, and put the shorts on a table using the edge as my straight line. For better results you will want to find a straight line and cut the jeans or shorts now. Use a rotary cutter for the straightest lines possible.
Next you pin the skirt to the shorts. **Make sure not to pin the fabric too tight or it will not be flowy**  (is flowy a word? if not it should be ;p)


After the perimeter is pinned I rolled the skirt up and used hair clips to hold it in place while I sewed, again if you cut your pants/shorts this is not necessary.



Finally sew to create your seam between the shorts and skirt. You will want to do a double seam for added strength to the seam. So just go around twice, the first time removing pins as you go and the second time 1/4" away from the first seam (easiest if you do the second towards the cut or the 'outside' of the first seam.)

After the seam is done you are ready to wear your new skirt!!! You can see that my hem is a little crooked, you can avoid this by cutting first!!! I was just not ready to give these shorts up, but now that I see the skirt I think that I may take the plunge and do it right!

Over all this could be a very simple project, it is only as hard as you make it, and unfortunately for me I made it harder than it had to be. I think anyone who can sew a straight line can do this in about 10 minutes. So send me a pic of your skirt, questions, a suggestion for a future project, or comments to Bdklrising@gmail.com or just leave it below! Tomorrow....Hmmm... What do you want to see me tackle?? Let me know!

~Kelsy

No comments:

Post a Comment