Thursday, January 3, 2013

DIY Cake/Dessert Stand!

January 3, 2013 - Day 3
Hello again all you crafters!!

Today we are going to tackle the uber cute cake/dessert stand! The original pins that I saw both said to get dollar store plates and glasses, I chose to go to a local thrift store and see what I could find! I was able to find a beautiful plate for only $0.99 and a short margarita glass for only $0.49! Great finds!! Instead of starting with the original today, I will save those till the end and start with the one I made!

Here is what you will need: A plate or platter, a sturdy glass or candle stick holder, glue, a tape measure, a dry erase marker, and a piece of paper. You may opt to paint your tray, but I chose not to.


This is the glue I chose, but there are other kinds and brands out there. For example if you are using ceramic instead of glass get the right glue for the project.


So first what you will want to do is find the center of the plate, this is easy if your plate has markings or designs, mine did not so I found the middle by measuring the diameter of the plate in several different directions and marking the halfway point. This gave me a cluster of dots and a better guess as to where the center is.




Put a dot on the middle of a piece of paper and put the plat over the paper so you can align the dots. Note this step does not work if your plate is not see through. If your plate is not see through it is enough just to find the center.


When you know about where the glass is going to go you can put the glue on the glass. I chose to use the bottom of the glass as the connection point because the top of the glass was bigger and would give my plate more stability, however it would look just as cute if the cup was right side up. If you use the glass right side up you can add something like marbles or anything decorative to the glass before you attach it.


 Then put the glass on the bottom of the plate. Let the glue dry for about 24 hours before you use it or wash it.



 And here is the final product! Pretty neat! And it only took about 10 minutes and $1.50 to do! Well the glue was about $4.00 but now I have it for next time I need it!!


Here are some of the pictures that I found on Pintrest:



 The sky is the limit with this DIY item! I would love to see what you guys were able to do! Send me pics, questions, or comments to bdklrising@gmail.com or leave a comment below!
Have a great day!
~Kelsy
P.S. Don't forget to subscribe!!

1 comment:

  1. Super fun and cute! Can't wait to try myself!!

    ReplyDelete